CURRENT JOBS | PAST EXPERIENCE | AWARDS | EDUCATION | SKILLS
FREELANCE AUDIO JOURNALIST
(May 2017 – present)
• Pitch and report radio feature stories for public radio stations.
• Record tape-syncs for podcasts and radio shows.
• Edit and produce several podcasts, including We Must Ignite and Just Shoot It.
The State Press (University Newspaper) – Phoenix, AZ
PODCAST EDITOR (December 2016 – May 2017)
• Produced weekly podcasts on issues relevant to ASU students, including politics, local music, and campus life.
KASC Blaze Radio (College Radio Station) – Phoenix, AZ
PRODUCTION DIRECTOR (May 2016 – May 2017)
• Oversaw the recording and production of all station IDs, sweepers, and promotions.
• Coordinated scheduling of pre-recorded content.
• Led redesign of station website and web content.
NEWS DIRECTOR (May 2015 – May 2016)
• Oversaw all news programming for the station, from hourly news updates to longer public affairs shows.
ASSISTANT NEWS DIRECTOR (August 2014 – May 2015)
• Created and maintained news department blog for the posting of podcasts and news updates.
• Managed Twitter and Facebook accounts for the news department.
Downtown Devil (Hyperlocal online newspaper) – Phoenix, AZ
AUDIO DIRECTOR (May 2016 – Dec 2016)
• Produced a weekly podcast and taught digital reporters how to think and write with sound.
Central Sound at Arizona PBS – Phoenix, AZ
RECORDING/PRODUCTION ASSISTANT (April 2015 – December 2016)
• Set up and monitored audio and video recording equipment at classical concerts.
• Assisted in the mixing of classical programs to air on 89.5 KBAQ.
KJZZ News (NPR Member Station) – Tempe, AZ
NEWS INTERN (January 2016 – May 2016)
• Pitched, wrote and recorded spot news pieces and long-form stories to air during the local segments of Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
• Rewrote those stories to be published on the web.
KTAR News – Phoenix, AZ
NEWS INTERN (January 2015 – December 2015)
• ‘Conducted phone interviews and wrote stories with embedded audio to be read by news anchors.
• Wrote short feature stories as part of a partnership between Arizona State University and KTAR News.
• Accompanied reporters in the field and assisted by taking additional notes and photographs for web versions of stories.
KFYI 550 (iHeartMedia) – Phoenix, AZ
PRODUCTION INTERN (January 2014 – May 2014)
• Searched for sound bites and sound effects to be played on a daily afternoon talk show.
• Screened phone calls and determined which callers were appropriate to speak on-air.
1st Place Finalist, Radio News and Features
Hearst Journalism Awards, 2015-2016
Best use of Radio for News Coverage
Hearst Championship, 2016
1st Place, Radio Hard News Reporting
Broadcast Education Association Festival of Media Arts, 2016
Arizona State University
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism
Journalism and Mass Communication (B.A.) – Graduated Spring 2017
I have used various mics, DSLRs, and 360° video cameras to capture news events. Experience with using mobile editing software for breaking news stories. I am adept at “writing for the ear.”
I have extensive training with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and Audition. Additionally, I have experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign for print publications.
Advanced Audio / Video Production
In the Walter Cronkite School’s New Media Lab, I developed a workflow for implementing spatial audio in 360° videos without the use of expensive ambisonic microphones. Additionally, I have experience with Max/MSP, a program used for programming interactive audio installations and soundscapes.
Content Management and SEO
At campus papers, I have had to optimize audio stories and figure out how to promote them on social media.