I combine a love for narrative writing with expertise in audio production. Recent work includes founding the art documentary podcast We Must Ignite and editing Just Shoot It, a podcast about navigating the film industry as a director.
Host/Producer/Sound Wizard – June 2018 (ongoing)
We Must Ignite is a documentary podcast about women, non-binary people, and trans men pursuing their passions in the arts. As the show’s producer and audio engineer, I record all active tape, edit scripts, and produce the final mix for the episode. I also composed the show’s theme song and audio signature.
Reporter/Producer – August 26th 2018
This story is about two things: a disease that’s more common than many people think, and the new normal for how we pay for healthcare in this country. I reported this story in under 24 hours for KCRW’s 2018 Radio Race. I also composed the ending music.
Reporter – Published January 2018
I pitched, recorded, and wrote this story for WHYY’s science and health show, The Pulse. I looked into just why noise pollution matters and talked with downtown Phoenix residents about how to reduce excess sound in high-density urban environments.
Reporter – Published October 2017
In spring 2017, I was part of a Cronkite News project reporting on the Mexican states of Guanajuato and Querétero. I spent a week reporting on efforts to attract Mexicans deported from the U.S. to come to the town of San Miguel de Allende. The town is a popular tourist destination and has a high U.S. expatriate population.
Producer – September to December 2016
Deconstructed is news magazine podcast about downtown Phoenix and community issues. I was the show’s producer, and I edited scripts, recorded supplemental audio, and produced the final show. It was a part of the college publication Downtown Devil. I was an editor at Downtown Devil, and my responsibilities included teaching multimedia journalism students best-practices for audio reporting.
CURRENT JOBS | PAST EXPERIENCE | AWARDS | EDUCATION | SKILLS
FREELANCE AUDIO JOURNALIST
(May 2017 – present)
• Pitch and report radio feature stories for public radio stations.
• Record tape-syncs for podcasts and radio shows.
• Edit and produce several podcasts, including We Must Ignite and Just Shoot It.
The State Press (University Newspaper) – Phoenix, AZ
PODCAST EDITOR (December 2016 – May 2017)
• Produced weekly podcasts on issues relevant to ASU students, including politics, local music, and campus life.
KASC Blaze Radio (College Radio Station) – Phoenix, AZ
PRODUCTION DIRECTOR (May 2016 – May 2017)
• Oversaw the recording and production of all station IDs, sweepers, and promotions.
• Coordinated scheduling of pre-recorded content.
• Led redesign of station website and web content.
NEWS DIRECTOR (May 2015 – May 2016)
• Oversaw all news programming for the station, from hourly news updates to longer public affairs shows.
ASSISTANT NEWS DIRECTOR (August 2014 – May 2015)
• Created and maintained news department blog for the posting of podcasts and news updates.
• Managed Twitter and Facebook accounts for the news department.
Downtown Devil (Hyperlocal online newspaper) – Phoenix, AZ
AUDIO DIRECTOR (May 2016 – Dec 2016)
• Produced a weekly podcast and taught digital reporters how to think and write with sound.
Central Sound at Arizona PBS – Phoenix, AZ
RECORDING/PRODUCTION ASSISTANT (April 2015 – December 2016)
• Set up and monitored audio and video recording equipment at classical concerts.
• Assisted in the mixing of classical programs to air on 89.5 KBAQ.
KJZZ News (NPR Member Station) – Tempe, AZ
NEWS INTERN (January 2016 – May 2016)
• Pitched, wrote and recorded spot news pieces and long-form stories to air during the local segments of Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
• Rewrote those stories to be published on the web.
KTAR News – Phoenix, AZ
NEWS INTERN (January 2015 – December 2015)
• ‘Conducted phone interviews and wrote stories with embedded audio to be read by news anchors.
• Wrote short feature stories as part of a partnership between Arizona State University and KTAR News.
• Accompanied reporters in the field and assisted by taking additional notes and photographs for web versions of stories.
KFYI 550 (iHeartMedia) – Phoenix, AZ
PRODUCTION INTERN (January 2014 – May 2014)
• Searched for sound bites and sound effects to be played on a daily afternoon talk show.
• Screened phone calls and determined which callers were appropriate to speak on-air.
1st Place Finalist, Radio News and Features
Hearst Journalism Awards, 2015-2016
Best use of Radio for News Coverage
Hearst Championship, 2016
1st Place, Radio Hard News Reporting
Broadcast Education Association Festival of Media Arts, 2016
Arizona State University
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism
Journalism and Mass Communication (B.A.) – Graduated Spring 2017
I have used various mics, DSLRs, and 360° video cameras to capture news events. Experience with using mobile editing software for breaking news stories. I am adept at “writing for the ear.”
I have extensive training with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and Audition. Additionally, I have experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign for print publications.
Advanced Audio / Video Production
In the Walter Cronkite School’s New Media Lab, I developed a workflow for implementing spatial audio in 360° videos without the use of expensive ambisonic microphones. Additionally, I have experience with Max/MSP, a program used for programming interactive audio installations and soundscapes.
Content Management and SEO
At campus papers, I have had to optimize audio stories and figure out how to promote them on social media.